rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

Really I am not dead and I have not abandoned my blog. The plague had fallen on the Southard family but everyone is finally healthy. The stomach bug had hit our family hard, bad enough that two of my children had it twice in a little over a week and worst of all I got it and everyone knows mama is not supposed to ever get sick. I finally have my house back in order, my children all back to school and the laundry is finally all caught up and yes my office is clean so I am back to stamping.

My son Manny is rapidly approaching his 6th birthday and the other day he asked me if he could have a pirate (yessssss!) birthday party. Of course I was happy to get out Ahoy Matey to make the cards but I needed some inspiration so I headed to the gallery over on splitcoast stampers and found this fabulous card by claudiafromgermany. I am not really big on copying other peoples cards but this card gave me some fabulous ideas. The card is a gate fold card, meaning that the front of the card is folded back on itself.

What I used:
Ahoy Matey and Hugs & Wishes stamp sets, Linen and Sanded background, Matey's Map jumbo wheel
Chocolate Chip, Soft Sky, Ruby Red, Kraft and Naturals White card stock
Chocolate Chip, Soft Sky, Close to Cocoa classic ink pads
distressing tool from cutter kit, sponge, Prismacolor colored pencils and mineral spirits, Non-SU brown gingham ribbon (sorry but I am out of the old retired brown grosgrain and nothing else seemed to work)

Comments

Marisa said…
Sorry to hear you had a nasty flu bug in your house. Things get ugly when mamma gets sick!! Been there done that. Glad to hear everyone is on the mend.

As for the pirate party, have FUN!!! I did one for my son when he was 6 and he still talks about it. Treasure hunt, painted their pirate ship (cut out a huge hull out of carboard), bandana for each boy,eyepatch for each, painted on mustache or beards, ($ store had tons of great stuff).

Best part for me was the cake. Found it on the net (google kids cakes) and it looked amazing!!! Wasn't nearly as much work as it looked like but the WOW factor was off the charts. Can't recall the name of the website, if I find it I'll let you know. Boys at the party talked about at home and I had moms asking me about it. Also won first prize in the cake competition at the Spring Carnival. EASY to make - I promise! Two 9" rounds cut in half make the hull, and candy and biscuits are the decor on the ship. (they provide a list of all you have to get). Enjoy!! Glad to hear you are back on your feet too.
Judy Rozema said…
So glad things are better at your house, Debi! Your card is just adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

color throwdown 100th challenge celebration!

Our Daily Bread Designs September blog hop...

a time for changes and reflection...